What Type Of Window Do I Have?

The first step of measuring for your shutters is identifying the style of your window.  

First, have a look at your window and ask the following questions:

These questions are important as different measuring techniques are used for different window settings.

Does My Window Have A Recess?

The first thing to check is how your window is sitting. Does it sit inside the wall or flush against the wall? If there is space between the wall and the window, then your window has a recess. This means that it might be possible to Inside Mount your shutter. 

What Is An Architrave?

An architrave is the frame around your window, which serves as a decorative trim around door frames and windows.

There are several different types of architraves. Not all windows will have an architrave. If your window does have an architrave, we will need to identify the style in order to determine how to measure for your shutters and ultimately, how they will be installed.

What Kind Of Architrave Do I Have?

Bullnose Architrave

A Bullnose Architrave is a flat frame with a curved edge.


Decorative Architrave

A decorative Architrave will feature grooves and un-level surfaces. (Think Victorian style house).


Square Architrave

A Square  Architrave will have straight angles and no curves.


Does My Window Have A Sill?

A window sill is the ledge at the bottom of your window. It generally protrudes out of the wall and will stick out further than the recess. If you have a recess, then it is important to note whether the bottom is actually sill or just part of the recess. If your window does has a sill, we will select a frame that is compatible with your window. All you need to do is identify your window sill and let us know on the Design Centre when asked.

Camberwell Brinsley 74 7468 TRANSFER

0 0

Was this article helpful?

Gil Baker
By: Gil Baker Published: 08 Feb 2018